Thursday 24 January 2013

Our visit to a Saudi Organic Farm (6 images)

My classes were afforded the opportunity to meet a very successful organic farmer. 
We spent the day touring his farm and learning new concepts. The students listened
in Arabic and translated everything to English so that I could understand. I drove one of his 
tractors and learned how hay was bailed. In the image below (center image) the white substance found on the ground is salt. It is said that at some point in time (millions of years ago) this part of Saudi Arabia was under water. In the last image, we visited a fort dating back about 400 years. What was interesting was how during times of war, the community would barricade the walls and force the enemy to enter through an underground passage completely filled with water. At the end of our tour, he fed us an organic meal from his farm (sheep, chicken and dates).  
PS: I also had the pleasure to driving a Hummer for the first time in my life... I love Hummers now!










No comments:

Post a Comment